DVB-T Dongle

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu May 16 23:31:03 CDT 2013

Yes.  Especially when the transmitter itself was only part of the equation.
Higher peak power output might lead to a bigger copper pipe going up the
tower, an antenna that could handle higher peak RF levels without arcing,
and those issues also led to maybe needed more upgrading of the tower
itself.  Most of us had already done the tower design work, and were already
doing tower upgrades, sometimes to handle two TV antennas (analog and DTV).
Going back and redoing those upgrades yet again would have been more costly
and add delays to the timeline.  There were only so many tower riggers in
the country, and I had to remove at least one rigger from a tower job for
safety concerns, as they almost brought down one of our towers.

I think that going to COFDM would have required significant more
transmitter, where a UHF three-cabinet/tube 8VSB transmitter was usable, at
least five cabinets were necessary for equivalent coverage if COFDM was
used.  Two-cabinets VSB could get away with a third with COFDM.

Encoders, exciters, demods, signal quality test equipment, etc..., would
also need to be changed.  Us "early adopters" would have been especially hit
hard with additional costs.