Whitebox Handheld Software Radio Kit

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri May 24 14:08:18 CDT 2013

I'm disappointed that he didn't pick one of the FPGAs with the twin-core A9s
with MMU, FPU, etc.   The Cortex-M (depending on which one) is a very nice
32-bit microcontroller, and while it is possible to coerce micro-Linux
to run on it,
it is not an easy job and all the SDR software that uses floating point
is simply
not going to run worth beans.  Yes, the Cortex-M versions are cheaper,
but I doubt seriously if they will prove to be inexpensive.  The choice
has maximized the difficulty of getting the software environment
people expect up and running.  It's his project and he can do what he wants,
but again, if you track the r.pi list, there is *massive* frustration
out there when
people buy the story and then are unsuccessful replicating what others have
accomplished with the aid of far more technology chops.

sigh. i fear this is not going to end well.

    -mo