has any one used LINRAD (MIT product)

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Sun May 26 12:26:22 CDT 2013

On 5/26/2013 6:03 AM, Samudra Haque wrote:

> /I think this package LINRAD was produced at MIT. Has any one experience with this SDR application (for Linux, for
> Windows) ? /
> /
> /
> /http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail.phtml?sectpat=All&ordpat=date&descpat=&pkgid=286//
> /
> /
> /
> /73 de N3RDX/

Linrad was not produced at MIT...  its author (as reported in the description in the Web page linked) is
Leif Asbrink SM0BSZ, who developed it for himself (his words) and hence gave it the appearance and
the functionality that most reflected his needs, and this is the reason why sometimes people finds it
a bit awkward to use.

The description in that page is obsolete, as it still mention the use of the svgalib, which Leif abandoned a
few years ago. Presently Linrad can also be compiled under Windows (thanks God...), and as such it
is now much more user friendly, without being forced to navigate through hundreds of lines of obscure
Linux scripts, modifying them according to the specific version of the gcc compiler and of the kernel
incarnation of your specific Linux installation....

73  Alberto  I2PHD