softrock

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Thu May 30 17:45:06 CDT 2013

Hey Alex.
I’m not sure what on-board sound chipsets are the best.  Generally, you get whatever that particular motherboard has, and if you don’t like it, you need to install a sound card.  The older USB sound card that people liked was the Creative EMU 0202.  I believe its replacement is not as good.

Depending on how good your soldering sills are, either the Ensemble II receiver or the Ensemble RxTx are good choices if you are comfortable with SMT.  They both rely on the Si570 chip for he LO, which allows frequency agility – a huge benefit.  These are both HF kits.  The receiver covers all of HF, while the RxTx is a small transceiver that covers one band really well, and another band OK.  The crystal-based Softrock kits are much simpler to build, but are stuck on whatever freq the crystal is for.  For 40M, the main Softrock frequency is 7.056MHz, for example.

Softrock Ensemble receiver ($67):
http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6&zenid=fc11d0c66aca3263e3f48f1e58894fb0
Softrock Ensembe RxTx ($89):
http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7
Softrock crystal receiver ($22):
http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

Fivedash (Tony Parks) used to run out of these kits all the time.  You may have to monitor the web site for in-stock opportunities.  There are also some Softrock-like kits out there as well. Lazy Dog is one company making a similar kit.  Bill Fenn has a crystal-controlled version that he purchased from Japan.

Almost any computer over 1GHz will work somewhat with simpler SDR programs, such as Rocky.  Windows XP and higher are OK as well.  Higher speed computers and/or newer versions of Windows (or Linux) will provide additional benefits, such as a wider receive spectrum – assuming that your sound card allows it as well.  Most SDR apps are 32-bit, generally so that they can run on a 32-bit OS.  There have been driver issues with 64-bit Windows as well...  For Apple devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod) there is a free iSDR app for that.

There’s a LOT of options in both hardware and software for SDR these days.

You may have also asked about slices of spectrum are displayed.  From what I’ve seen so far, each slice has been displayed on a separate line (in PowerSDR).  There is talk in the HPSDR group about splicing adjacent spectrum slices together, but I think that’s more for a spectrum analyzer project.  The new Flex radios, and some others like our own Charleston SDR, can suck in wider spectrum data, and that data can be displayed directly as a wider swath.  But, this isn’t true for sound card-based SDRs.  This is another advantage of DDC-based (Direct Digital Conversion) SDRs versus the cheaper QSD-based SDRs, which rely on sound cards (the Flex 1500, 3000, and 5000 have internal sound card like interfaces).
73, Terry, WB4JFI