wish to combine VHF rf tx signals into one antenna

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Thu May 30 22:26:02 CDT 2013

I believe we are discussing apples vs. stove bolts.

The original message was regarding using several VHF radios at the
same time.

Yes, this is possible, but it requires two antennas, one for all
transmitters, and one for all receivers.  On receive, there is
basically no loss.  On transmit, there is loss.  It starts when the
transmitters are about 600-800 kHz apart and climbs to a bit over 6 dB
as the transmitters reach the same frequency.  Yes, it is possible to
combine two transmitters on the same frequency.  If they just run, you
get 6 (plus a little) dB of loss.  If they are on exactly the same
frequency, fed in phase, and modulated exactly the same, you actually
get 3 dB of gain.  Broadcast transmitters do this all the time.  It
used to be two VHF transmitters, and maybe up to 5 UHF TV transmitters
(back in the day of 6 MW NTSC ERPs).  Today, solid state broadcast
transmitters can combine dozens of PA modules, even on MW.

Believe it or not, by using the PROPER receive antennas, it is
possible to transmit and receive on the same frequency, at the same
site at the same time.

I have a LOT of experience building combiners and combined sites.  We
were having so much success several of the Engineers at Sinclair Labs
wanted to test one of our sites.  We felt we were spending more than
needed on cavities -- and we were right.  We had two VHF Sinclair
235-2 (VHF, 6 dB gain, omni) antennas. one at the top of a pole on a
office building, and one 40 feet below it, exactly below the receive
antenna.

We told all the tenants we were gong to take the system down at 6 AM
on a Saturday morning and we disconnected the VHF transmit combiner
and the VHF receive multicoupler.  The transmission lines had cross
band couplers for low-band VHF, UHF, and 900 MHz transmitters, and UHF
and 900 MHz receivers. We had no low-band receivers, only paging
transmitters.

We hooked up my IFR Com 120B and put a signal into the transmit
antenna, and looked for the receive signal on the receive antenna.
The Com 120B has both a meter and a spectrum analyzer.  No joy.  We
disconnected the Com 120B from the transmit antenna and connected an
IFR 1200, then an IFR 500.  No joy.  We just couldn't find the
transmitted signal, but it is only about 1 Watt.  I kept saying we
should connect the ambulance company's transmitter, which is 110 Watts
and try to find it.  I kept being told no.  Finally, when everyone was
as drained as much as I was, they agreed.  (We didn't want to fool
with the Secret Service radios, or the FCC radio -- a rare VHF
repeater (in commercial use), or the FAA radio.

We connected the ambulance radio and keyed it up.  Still, no joy.  We
only expected 80 dB or so of isolation.  We were showing it was much
more than 110 dB.  IMPOSSIBLE!  Well, as we were staring at the test
equipment, wondering what we were doing wrong, an ambulance called in
from 35 miles away.  It had a 35 Watt radio and a 3 dB gain antenna.
So, we were transmitting 440 Watts ERP, from 40 feet away, and we were
hearing a 70 Watt ERP radio from 35 miles away!  Isolation works!  We
were all dumbfounded, none as much as the Sinclair Labs Engineers.
This means a simplex, or single frequency real-time repeater is
possible.

  Zach (good to see you on here) wrote about mobile duplexing.  I used
to do that all the time.  I had three VHF high-band radios in the
trunk of my Maserati.  I had two in my Blazer.  I could use the auto-
patch on our repeater in full duplex, that is to write, I could hear
myself coming back, and the person on the phone could interrupt me.
It was mostly like actually talking on the phone.  600 kHz is pretty
far when using separate antennas, even at close spacing.  On a single
antenna -- not so much.  You will burn out the receiver if you just
use a RF T connector.

What Sandy was writing about is cross-band coupling.  That is, using
the same transmission line for different bands.  It works well.  Hams
use multi-band antennas, but the commercial world uses separate
antennas, so the bands are split apart at the top of the tower or pole.

The ham antennas work OK, but their vertical elevation patterns are
poor.  They shoot far too much signal at a high angle, and they have
minor lobes that go down, which will cause self interference at a
combined use site.

Commercial "fiberglass" antennas have the same problem.  The problem
is how they have to be constructed.  The velocity factor of the
transmission line is less than one, and since those segments are also
the radiators, the phase lags as the RF gets to the elements further
from the feed point.  Thus, the elevation pattern sucks.

The only antennas that can be fed in phase are external dipoles, or in
most cases, external loop dipoles are used.  They have great elevation
patterns, and as long as one doesn't try for more than 6 dB of gain,
there are few minor lobes, or none for a 3 dB antenna.  Those minor
lobes will kill you on both isolation, but also in multi-path
interference in the field.  I will never understand why hams, and some
commercial operators insist on 10 dB gain antennas.  It gains the user
nothing, and makes the resulting coverage worse.  Sure, you have a
higher ERP, but it shoots over everyone's heads.

Back to the original question -- three of four VHF high-band radios
into one antenna -- well, it IS possible, but you don't want either
the restrictions nor do you want to pay the freight.  You REALLY MUST
HAVE TWO ANTENNAS, one for receive and one (or two) for transmit.  Why
would you want two for transmit?  As I wrote earlier, as the
frequencies get close, the losses go up.  If you can place those close
transmitters on separate antennas, you can avoid those big losses.

If you really need to use only one antenna, you are forced into a
position where you are going to have a port for each frequency.  So if
you want to use two repeaters, that isn't that bad, maybe $3000.  If
you want four, it will be maybe $8000.  If you want 10, well, that
would be just nutz and you would save a lot of money by going to two
antennas.

Regarding one antenna per transmitter, that has its own set of
problems.  The transmitters are dong to desense the receivers.  You
really need to consider two antennas, one mounted above the other.
You can use parallel combiners, which have a loss of at least 3 dB per
transmitter, but you can have the freedom of transmitting on any
frequency in the band.

One last thing.  ANY of these solutions, except for one antenna per
radio, is going to require modifying the radios.  You are going to
have to put an additional antenna jack on the transmit side.  You
cannot use the T/R switching inside the radio.  You still will likely
want to have the T/R switch in the radio, but use it to just short the
receive antenna input to ground.  That may not be needed, but since it
is already in the radio, why not use it?

--chip