softrock

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri May 31 01:13:40 CDT 2013

Hello Alex.
I don’t see which band your Softrock Rx is on, but for 40M, the crystal is 4 times the actual frequency.  For 20M, I believe he plays some games and uses a 4/3 or some such.  If your Softrock is 40M, you would need 28.2MHz or so for the output, I think Tony supplies a 28.224MHz rock.  Possible to drive it with an AD9850, but you will need some sort of amp on the DDS output.  In addition, what I have done is to bias the input to the first flip-flop to 1/2 VCC with a couple of resistors, such as 4.7K, and apply the amplified DDS output to that input via a coupling cap.  This allows the flip flop to switch back and forth with the DDS output signal.  I did this with some crystal controlled Softrocks and early DDS modules.  Most AD9850 modules have a 125MHz oscillator, so even 1/4 the clock is still over 30MHz.  But, the output level DOES drop off as the frequency increases in DDS units.  I have also put the DDS output right where the crystal plugs in, and used the oscillator transistor as an amp, but that’s a little trickier.

For Windows, the easiest SDR software to use is Rocky.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR STARTERS.  Go to www.dxatlas.com and download it.  As long as you are using a sound card with stereo inputs, it will be good enough to try out.  You may see some unwanted spurs, and a large spike at zero Hz, the center frequency, but at least you can play SDR with it!  You will also see an image float through the spectrum, until you do the image cancellation.  You can tell an image as it moves the opposite direction when you tune, and it will be of the opposite sideband.  For example, if you must use USB to listen to a 40M SSB QSO, it’s probably an image of the real signal.  For CW, you can’t really tell that way.

Turtle Beach sound cards were nice early on in SDR development (even Flex supported the Santa Cruz I think), but they have been long passed over.  I have a couple Turtle Beach cards, but don’t use them anymore.  Try whatever you get, as long as it has a stereo input, preferably line inputs.

Most SDR software only does the local onscreen spectrum display, and sound out of the sound card.  To do digital in the same computer, you need to either route that audio out back into another sound card through a cable (yech), or use something called “virtual audio cable”, or VAC.  It is a commercial software package from a guy in Russia, I think it costs about $30.  That’s what most people do.  There is a free version, but it has an embedded voice that duns on about buying it, and interferes with operation.  There have been a couple other versions of VAC software announced recently, I need to locate that info.

AS far as building SMT, I just put the chip down on the board and hold it in place with my fingernail while I tack solder opposite corners.  I then go back and solder each pin.  Solder wick is great for removing excess solder, and shorts between pins.  Use it carefully, don’t push down too hard with the iron, or move the wick around too much.  Get a really thin tip for your iron.  If you have the funds, look up an X-Tronic 4040 solder station.  For just over $120, it has both a really nice iron, with several tips included, and a hot-air soldering wand.  Great deal for the money.  As things get smaller, if you plan to keep building, you need tools like the 4040.  Also, when putting down SMT ICs, use a little flux like from a Kester #2331-ZX flux pen.  Put it on both the board pads and the IC pins.  It make all the difference in the world!  You won’t be fighting the soldering at all anymore.  The solder just flows where it’s supposed to!

All for now.
73, Terry, WB4JFI