message for Karl

Michael Chisena ka2zev at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 07:24:19 CDT 2013

Boss,
Something in your spam filter hates my messages.
I have sent three answers and it has bounced each one.

Many thanks for working with that mini stepper motor for GM instrument clusters.
It is of the type you mentioned in a message.

The P/N is nearly impossible to read.

Blue black ink on a black body motor.
Strong light and a big magnifier did the trick.

Real glad to year that your PIC device was able to make it function.

At this point  I have no clusters to test with, such is life.

Or to quote Meatloaf "all revved up and no-place to go".

Working on a way of 'counterfeiting' the data signals the clusters run on.
Bill N4TS gave me the idea some time back.

It was an APRS thing. Drive around and with the proper attenuators, one can record the data signals from a GPS module.
Then later play them back through an amp and some zener clippers. I don't need to know the data pattern, just that it exists.

Vehicle instrument clusters read signals off the data buss, then the electronics in the cluster send them off to each motor for display.

The service computers used on our cars, can command the vehicle computer to do a 'dial sweep'.

I don't own one but can get to use one at the mechanics shop.
The thinking is to record that command as the cluster gets it (right pin and all that stuff) then save it to an MP3 player.

Loop the player so it keeps doing dial sweeps.

This idea is not fully formed yet but it's a start.

Again, thanks for your effort.
Mike

Michael F. Chisena
KA2ZEV at Yahoo.com