An Internet Kill Switch ?

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Fri Jun 21 00:33:44 CDT 2013

the inclination is based on certain facts.
the NTIA does in fact have a command center wherein there are
representatives of all the major carriers all the time, and if
an emergency is declared, NTIA can assume control of the PSTN
and the long-haul fiber trunking and direct the carriers to do
whatever they say. they could order the shut down of enough
fiber transmission capacity that the effect would be indistinguishable
from a "kill switch" - not very damn much would be working
and a great many areas of the US Internet would very quickly
enter deep congestive collapse.

the implications of doing this, however, are mind-boggling.

btw - if you haven't seen Dan Geer's latest missive, wander over,
have a cup of tea, and have a read:

     http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2479677

Dan is the person that kicked the hell out of the anthill when
it published the famous paper on the danger of monoculture
in the Internet environment. His company, @Stake, was a contractor
for Microsoft at the time and he was promptly fired for provoking them.
I happen to be in the offices of @Stake for a Technical Advisory Board
meeting (of which Dan was chair) when the feces were seeking the blades.

     -mo