Any AMRAD members at Fied Day?

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 07:42:12 CDT 2013

HacDC ARC (W3HAC) had its inaugural FD in its space in St Stephens church
in downtown Washington, DC.   One of our members survived and operated in
the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in Miami and thought that it was as
authentic a crisis response location as the middle of a park.

We entered as a 3e but ended up running just one transmitter most of the
time.   We put up an 80 ft loop and 10 m dipole  and also used a existing
20 m monopole.  We also put up a permanent UHF/VHF vertical and made
several contacts on that.  One members brought in huge lithium batteries
and we ran on battery power.  We brought several hundred watts of solar
panels but didn't have time to set them up.    We introduced a bunch of new
people to ham radio and got several non-amateurs on the air.  Due to all
the time spent schmoozing with visitors our duty cycle was pretty low and
the batteries lasted.  We also had a gas generator we never fired up.

I operated PSK31 mostly on 20 m and made just a few dozen contacts.  I
planned to operate at 5 W but ended up at 15 W.  This was my first contest
event and I am new to PSK31 so it was a shock how fast everything was
happening. I'm sure I would've had better luck with more power and some
psk31 skills.

Martin KB3UJQ