[ARDUINO] Parts for projects in ARRL Arduino book

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Mon Jun 24 19:24:04 CDT 2013

I thought that I would pass along some info that I found regarding a few key
parts for projects in the ARRL Arduino book.

First of all, Argent Data Radio Shield was out of stock for a while, but it
is back in stock now.  It is in kit form, and I would use an Arduino Header
kit from Sparkfun instead of the headers that Argent supplies.
Argent Radio Shield:
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=136
Sparkfun Arduino header set:  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10007

Sainsmart has a rather inexpensive LCD/key shield (SKU:20-011-901) on sale
for only $7.99.  I bought a couple, and they are compatible with the other
ones that have the resistor divider for the switches.  This is an Arduino
Shield that includes a nice 16x2 LCD display in addition to five switches.
Good price.
http://www.sainsmart.com/arduino-compatibles-1/lcd-module/sainsmart-1602-lcd-keypad-shield-for-arduino-duemilanove-uno-mega2560-mega1280.html

The Sparkfun color 128x128 LCD shield used by a few projects in the book has
been discontinued, without a replacement in the Sparkfun store.  I found
that a seller on Amazon had a few left in stock, at $38.95.  I'm not sure if
they are all sold out now or not.  This 128x128 display may be available
elsewhere, as it was originally for a Nokia phone.

73, Terry, WB4JFI