EMERGENCY ??? AMATEUR RADIO NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW!

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Wed Jun 26 18:41:18 CDT 2013

While I agree with Rob that the initial message seems to be a knee
jerk reaction, I am not convinced we need or even should allow
encrypted communications in the ham bands.

Let's look at emergency medical communications for the Marine Corps
Marathon, as an example.  If I am running the marathon and go down at
mile 25, I really don't care what is said about me via ham radio.
What could it be?  Name, condition, maybe the medications I am
taking?  I don't care.  Get me on an IV and load me in the bus.

As I read HIPAA, and I have several times, it is basically in place to
prevent medical information from being used to discriminate against
the patient.  As an example, an employer may not want to hire an
overweight diabetic who "cured" his diabetes by losing weight.  The
potential employer may not want to hire that person.  To another
extreme, an employer may not wish to hire someone who is HIV positive.

I cannot imagine what information that would go over the air at the
MCM that would or could be a problem.

Hams have been called out to provide communications when hospital PBXs
have failed.  Now, that COULD be an issue.  Using ham radio to say,
"Ms. Nora Jones has this and needs that" could be an issue.  However,
just changing this to "the female in Bay 3 in the ER has this and
needs that" cures that problem, but it might require additional safety
checks.  Using a patient number cures all problems.

One thing does really concern me though.  It does appear that those
private, digitally encrypted messages might take place between non-
licensees.  That would be bad.

--chip