FOX News: Making the web vastly faster

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Sat Jun 29 14:43:15 CDT 2013

    Even if you have a fiber system that supports 10 zettabits/second of
bandwidth,
    photons can only travel 300,000 meters per second IN A VACUUM.
    the Velocity Factor for fiber is about .7 in most cases. No amount
of wishing
    will move SFO closer to NYC (and the earthquakes move it further away).

    This is why some folks I know have recreated a pure microwave path
from Chicago
    to Hoboken for the high-speed traders. It is an airborne path. I
figure the end-state
    is a millimeter waveguide pumped down to a hard vacuum located
inside a straight-line
    borehole between Chicago and Hoboken. I don't *think* a cryogenic
superconducting
    waveguide would help enough to make it worth the trouble. But if it
would reduced the number
    of analog repeaters sufficiently, i've been told they *will* sell
body parts for 100 microseconds less delay.

    propagation delay improvements beyond that require Star Trek
technology currently
    unavailable outside Area 51.

    -mo