Weak Signals and All That Kind of Stuff

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 18 22:32:51 CDT 2013

We had a nice talk tonight at the AMRAD meeting by Frank Eliot, W3WAG.

Related are a couple of books I got some years ago that are a bit off of
the main road.

First is "Optimum Noise Immunity" by Kotelnikov.  It is available as a
translation from the Russian.  It looks at optimum detection of on-off
keying type signals.  I consider it a classic that at the time was from
behind the Iron Curtain.  A bit of math here and there but a lot of
insight and thought processes used to solve the problem.

Second is "Transmission of Orthogonal Signals" by Henning Harmuth. This
book is considered a classic and was written when Walsh functions were
the hot item and this book provided insight into orthogonal Walsh
functions but also provided insight into much more.

Both books are quite different in their approach but should provide
useful background on weak signal detection.

Careful shopping for used versions can provide quite usable copies of
these classics.  I found used ones listed on Amazon.  I have both here
and am glad to loan to AMRAD members.  I will bring them to tacos on
Saturday.

Thanks to Frank Eliot for stimulating member's interest in this subject.

Frank K0BRA