Anybody programming with MIDI? And my Flex 6500 arrived!

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Fri Jul 19 01:03:20 CDT 2013

I'm trying to write some software that converts MIDI commands from a
Hercules DJ controller (USB connected) to CAT commands for Flex and Elecraft
radios.  My target platform therefore is Windows, using C++.  I've found a
few example programs that I can kludge up into something, but I would prefer
a better solution.  Has anybody here written virtual MIDI devices?

It would be great to have something that looks to Windows like a MIDI output
device that sucks in MIDI commands, and converts them to virtual serial
data.  I can handle the in-between process and the serial port output.  What
I don't know is how to create something that Windows thinks of (is
registered as??) as a "MIDI output" device.

---------------

Also, I got my new Flex Signature series 6500 as part of the preview
release.  The SmartSDR software is very basic at the moment, very much
pre-release.  But, I am totally impressed with the rig and the direction
this is taking.  I plugged the 6500 into a spare Ethernet switch port, and
turned it on.  After loading the SmartSDR software on a computer, it found
the rig right away!  No hassles, no firewall problems, no Windows problems.
For giggles, I then loaded SmartSDR onto two other computers elsewhere in
the shack, each one found the rig right away!  So, I have the main ham
computer (Dell XPS420/Vista-yecch/32-bit), my newest desktop (Dell XPS
Studio/Win7/64-bit) and newest laptop (HP dv7/Win7/64-bit), all capable of
driving the radio.

I'm convinced that the 6000 series is the future.  A DDC/DUC-based RF
front-end with a (roughly) 130dB dynamic range, and a serious FPGA/processor
on the backend.  Expensive but cool.

While playing with the Flex tonight, I set off the house alarm system again.
Apparently, RF from one of the 40M dipoles in the attic is triggering a
smoke/fire detector.  Funny thing, the alarm was disabled at the time.
Actually, I think smoke/fire portion of the alarm is never disabled if power
is applied.

I also put my openHPSDR Mercury/Penelope/Alex (etc) rig back together and
updated the FPGA firmware.  Plus, I finally put together and got working my
HiQSDR DDC/DUC board.  Talk about a construction challenge!  Too many
radios, not enough (decent) antennas.

Anyway, all kinds of fun actually building and testing SDR rigs here at
WB4JFI.
73, Terry, WB4JFI