Earth Dipole

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Jul 21 15:18:06 CDT 2013

The security of all forms of wireless communication can be compromised in surprising ways. Some years ago I built a portable VLF receiver with a magnetic (ferrite coil) antenna. It clearly received sferics, whistlers, the washing machine motor from the end of the garden, and gave advance warning of the arrival of the electric milk lorry as it turned the end of the road.

One weekend morning I switched it on and clearly heard the Voice of God - and, more to the point, she was talking directly to ME. It took a short walk to discover that I was eavesdropping into the hearing aid induction loop at the Baptist Church nearly half a mile away. Disappointment and relief in equal measure.

Phil M1GWZ