access point software

Bennett Z. Kobb bkobb at ieee.org
Wed Aug 14 18:34:07 CDT 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Alex Fraser <beatnic at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I'd like to set up a WiFi access point so that when you connect to it
> you are shown a web page.  Provision for a password would be nice, but
> just getting a splash page would be a good start for me.

I've done this using a variety of devices, but currently with the
Raspberry Pi.

I've used it to provide speaker bios, event schedules, document
downloads etc. at meetings and shows:

http://directwireless.me

Other projects are using similar concepts:

http://jasongriffey.net/librarybox/

http://subnod.es

http://occupyhere.org

> I've seen this often in hotels where you are sent to their home page
> first and
> sometimes have to enter a password to go on.

That's a "captive portal" or "hotspot" that connects the user to the
Internet as a paid customer.
But public Wi-Fi Internet access is not always provided, affordable or
usable.

> I don't want to connect people to the web, but rather a local machine
> running Apache or a webcam server.

Right. The wireless local media server just provides content attendees
need at that location.

It's been called a "warmspot" ...

Benn AK4AV