a little video of an experiment I designed and developed

Samudra Haque samudra.haque at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 18:40:11 CDT 2013

Ah. A good question W4KRL. The Cathode terminal of the thruster itself is
the consumable propellant (i.e., it eats itself during regular operation).
The Anode is fixed through a center screw in this model. But other models
have: (polarity switching terminals - Alternating Electrodes) and (multiple
cathodes - Bi-modal Electrodes). This version was called Coaxial Electrode
for obvious reason. Earlier we had a more difficult Ring Electrode
configuration.

I'm afraid, I can only describe in detail the thruster subsystem I designed
for an AMRAD presentation (or AMSAT?), but not the Phonesat. The nearest I
got to hold the puppy was to interface with its brains, the Google Nexus
Smartphone, but I have looked at the extremely precise cad model they used
to verify size/weight etc. The three phonesat systems reached orbit atop
antares1, and the next generation of phonesats will be part of EDSN
missions, I have been told.

I designed the system to be generic in interfaces, so I could fly with any
other small sat, if one were to look for propulsion capability on any
mission. These things can be massaged to produce 1-50 uNs of impulse-bit
thrust per channel, at least that is what I worked on, but I think the
upper limit is much higher as the system should get more efficient when the
cathode is heated up. The following picture may be not interesting to some
(you all have experience in this), but at least it shows the full subsystem
without connections to the thruster heads. (c) Samudra Haque, 2013.

Anyone attending IEPC 2013 (GWU) or any other space conference where we can
make contact with mission designers?

Lastly, in atmosphere, the spark is intense steely-blue, with sound. In
vacuum, obviously, no sound, and the plasma plume becomes long, deep
ultra-violet, but the duration is very brief, in this early model: 100
uS-250 uS.

//Samudra N3RDX

[image: Inline image 1]