Anybody messing with teh new Arduino Yun?

Bennett Z. Kobb bkobb at ieee.org
Mon Sep 23 06:24:17 CDT 2013

Terry,

Thanks for sending this to the list. The board looks awesome.

Unfortunately, Apple in iOS7 has just made it considerably harder for
iPhones and iPads to connect to Wi-Fi access points as could be hosted
on the Arduino Yun  - using its built-in Wi-Fi AP capability and OpenWRT
type distro that is on board.

The access points must be connected to the Internet so that the Apple
products can connect to a reported 200 Apple websites. If they cannot
reach those sites, they freeze the user out of his browser unless the
user takes certain non-obvious steps.

I have been running event websites on the Raspberry Pi that serve
content locally via Wi-Fi, without Internet connection. I would like to
do so on this new Arduino Yun. But Apple users will be stymied in
connecting to local wireless resources of this kind.

My project is not the only one affected. If anyone on the list knows how
to inspect packets (Wireshark) I could use the help in examining the
interaction between the Apple device and the network.

Benn AK4AV