Anybody messing with teh new Arduino Yun?

Bennett Z. Kobb bkobb at ieee.org
Mon Sep 23 09:37:16 CDT 2013

On 23 Sep 2013, at 9:35, Mark Whittington wrote:

> Could you link to some more info about this?  A quick Google search
> was unproductive.

Since you asked ...

Here is one post among those that have appeared in various forums. It
further references a Cisco document.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18891706/ios7-and-captive-portals-changes-to-apple-request-url

The earliest formal mentions of the change were by captive portal
manufacturers Cisco and Aruba. Apple so far appears to have been silent.

Some postings suggest that iOS7 devices only attempt to contact two
Apple sites. But I have observed three or four different Apple-owned
sites that my iPad tries to reach when it is connected by Wi-Fi to the
wireless access point.

Aruba has stated that whitelisting a list of Apple URLs will not be
sufficient, but neither Cisco nor Aruba has posted details of their
solution. They said that Apple is "rotating" the sites.

In my case, and in projects such as LibraryBox.us,
http://piratebox.aod-rpg.de/, Subnod.es, Poject-Byzantium.org etc., the
AP derives its content from a a web server on the LAN. It is not
connected to the Internet, so the Apple attempt fails and posts a Log In
screen (but there is nothing to log into).

The user then has to cancel the Log In screen, tap a "Use Without
Internet" link, if it appears at all, and is confusingly then sent to
the Settings screen. Escaping out of that is the only way to use the web
browser at this point, but I question that users will know all that.

Imagine that I approached the AMRAD exhibit at Winterfest. Several
different projects are shown, newsletters and papers are available. I
don't have time to look into everything presented. But content about all
of these is easy to broadcast right there in the booth by Wi-Fi. I could
take my phone, tablet or laptop, connect directly to the booth's Wi-Fi
content server, and immediately download your documents as PDFs or just
web pages, and take them home. No use of my phone's data plan, no
passwords, no waiting. No cost.

This is easy with Android devices. But if I have an Apple product, it's
now complicated.

This barrier frustrates the ability to obtain LAN-hosted web services.
It inhibits local Wi-Fi content distribution even as boards like the Pi
and Arduino Yun make it easier and cheaper to publish wirelessly
anywhere.