Anybody messing with teh new Arduino Yun?

wb4jfi at knology.net wb4jfi at knology.net
Mon Sep 23 13:01:23 CDT 2013

I'm not sure exactly how limiting this will be.  I really like my iPad and
iPhone, but I really HATE all the restrictions Apple places on these
devices, so I was concerned this morning when I read all this stuff.

But, I did a quick test using my iPad2 and using a Pignology Piglet
connected to my KX3.  The Piglet looks like an access point - without any
Internet access.  The iPad connected to it just fine.  I then ran both the
Pignology "Hamlib" logging app on my iPad (which asks the KX3 what freq it
is tuned to), and the KX3 controlling app that Mel and I are working on.
Both worked just fine.  Both now use TCP for the data transfer between the
Piglet and the iPad.  The Piglet uses a Roving Networks RN-171 wifi module
inside.  There is no need for Internet access with these apps.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this new Apple restriction will not affect my
experimentation, and it appears to not affect access-point access if no
Internet access is needed.  I need to figure out how too write another
"access" or two in that last sentence.
73, Terry, WB4JFI