wifi repeaters or range extenders

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Oct 6 12:48:16 CDT 2013

"Terry Fox" <tfox at knology.net> writes:

> Has anybody messed with wifi repeaters or range extenders?

Annoying and frustrating is my picoreview.  If you need this sort of
functionality, use a pair of bridge-type devices back-to-back, one as
a client, one as an AP.  You may want the client one to have a
directional antenna (in our case a built in 8 dBi patch) pointing at
the internet-connected AP of interest.  Obviously you want your local
AP to be on a different channel than your uplink.  :)

This is how we set things up when we go camping for a week and a half
each spring.  We use:

http://www.roc-noc.com/NSL2-Ubiquiti-NanoStation-Loco2-2.4GHz-802.11b-g-CPE-Featuring-Adaptive-Antenna-Polarity-AAP-Technology-FCC-Approved.html

as the uplink, and

http://www.roc-noc.com/ubiquiti/indoor/radio/PICO2-US.html

as the indoor AP.

I see the first one is out of stock everywhere, likely because
Ubiquiti is selling something better these days.  No time to research
what that better thing might be...  about to hop on a plane.

Both devices come with cheapie power-on-unused-pins PoE injectors.
Add in a pair of 100' cat5 cables, a crossover cat5 cable, a handful
of zip ties, and maybe a 1.5" PVC pipe coupling (for easier mounting
of the directional device if you want it tilted a bit) and your kit is
complete.

-r