BBC News: UK 'li-fi' data speed breakthrough

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 16:44:47 CDT 2013

I worked on a product that was based on Andrew Tanenbaum's line "Never
underestimate the bandwidth of a station
wagon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon> full
of tapes hurtling down the highway."

I was working for a company that had been contracted by Kodak to host
scanned photos (back in the days of film and film processing, you could
tick a box and get your processed film scanned and uploaded in addition to
the prints delivered).  We ran into the problem of not being able to
transfer all of the data from the 5-ish regional processing centers back to
our California datacenter.  So we developed Project Shoebox, where the
processing centers would fedex 40 GB DLT tapes full of photos directly to
the datacenter, and we paid a college kid to feed the tapes into the drive
and push the button to read the data off and spin it out into the correct
directories for the customers.

That company also had the first multi-terabyte SAN I ever encountered --
4.5 TB of storage online, split into 250GB slices so that we could restore
from backup in under 4 hours :D  I think they paid half a million dollars
in 2001 for that Hitachi SAN.

So yeah, sneakernet :)