FOX News: FCC announces plans to upgrade century-old phone system

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 22 18:32:23 CST 2013

  Future resource? Maybe. My neighborhood is wired for FIOS and a lot of
folks have signed up for the bundled services, including me. It was the
best deal I could get for high speed in my area. Before that it was
snail slow dial-up, local area phoning and antenna TV. I've found free
nationwide calling rather handy. Combined, the services are barely more
expensive than what I was paying previously. However, the FIOS TV that I
do watch has only a few channels that aren't currently received from
digital antenna OTA TV in the DC area. Mostly I bought FIOS for high
speed and phone.

  Before switching to fiber my 40+ year old copper lines were frequently
noisy. New wire pairs had to be periodically switched every couple of
years as old ones corroded. I've seen the cables, they consist of many
strands of plastic insulated small gauge hookup size wire. There's not
enough copper there to recoup the cost and trouble of digging it up for
scrap.

  Perhaps in a few hundred years archeologists will excavate Ma Bell's
underground cables (their distant technological past) while they marvel
at the antiquity. They might even write papers on the subject, if paper
still exists. Surrounded by decades of collected books, that thought
almost makes me feel like a dinosaur.

Richard