10.1 Samsung tablet

Mitch Buchman KB3MYC at arrl.net
Sun Dec 1 13:18:37 CST 2013

Alex,

Sometimes these connectors are used for test in manufacturing. Every penny
saved in manufacturing costs go to profit. It is mich less costly to run a
cabled test than having to put each device in an RF chamber. Some devices
are even checked solely by measuring the drop in the source power load when
transmitting. You get what you pay for, but these are only manufacturing
checks, not design tests.

Since the connector appears to be unterminated, there is probably a switch
somewhere, controlled by a test setup. Now how to turn on the switch to use
the external antenna connector ... ?

Have fun with the tablet. There's lots more to discover.

Mitch
KB3MYC