EKEN GT10X Tablet

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 30 15:58:46 CST 2013

Bill Fenn, N4TS, showed up with a new tablet computer that looked really
promising so I went over to Microcenter and also got one.  It is the
Eken GT10X.

It is Android based, has a 10.1 inch screen and has a lot of
capabilities starting with a WiFi connection.  You can find info at:

eken.com

He and I were successful installing an Android driver for the RTL-SDR
dongle giving a VHF/UHF receiver.  Adding a $10 purchase we got a
software upgrade that displays the spectrum.  It is very nice.  The
dongle we used is the Software Radio USB DVB-T RTL2832U found on eBay
for under $10 and ships from China.

While your at it buy one of the adapter connectors that let you connect
your better antennas into the the dongle.  You will spend almost as much
for the adapter as you do for the dongle.  Your alternative is to clip
off the cable and add a connector.

There is a review on Youtube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py4sO-gXHrU

The review is along the lines of a game player but it also covers the
rest of it.

I see the tablet in the Microcenter catalog for January so it looks like
these are not a one-time-good-deal but will become a regular item.  The
price is $79.99 which makes it a bargain.  For now you cannot buy
on-line but must go into the store.  I suspect that will change before
long.  Meantime, I would be happy to pick up one for those of you
outside their store areas.

Let us know what kind of experience you have had with one of these and
any new tips about using it.  It should do a lot of ham radio kind of work.

Frank K0BRA