Facebook group

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Jan 5 07:46:40 CST 2014

"Bennett Z. Kobb" <bkobb at ieee.org> writes:

> If you need a new CMS to do that, then get one. I recommend
> ExpressionEngine and Textpattern.

Can you provide some supporting data for these recommendations?  Any
high-profile sites powered by them?  If there's sufficient user base
for a recommendation I find it odd that I've never heard of either of
those.

Joomla and Drupal seem to be the de-facto standards in CMS software
these days; Drupal historically has had around a third the security
holes that Joomla has.  A lot of people use Wordpress because it's
low-drag, but it's definitely the Chevette of CMSes and its security
record is horrible.  For a while there I was an advocate of
http://www.s9y.org, but despite its excellent security record (really
saying something for a PHP app) it seems to be consigned to the fate
of an also-ran.

I recently stood up a blog (adding content slowly; there's a year plus
of backlog-notes to deal with) that's Drupal 7, a
mobile-first-responsive theme (which means a nice experience on
PhonePadDroid too).  Using sqlite3 for a back end instead of pgsql or
mysql (high write concurrency not needed for a blog or even something
like amrad.org) means that the whole banana (nginx, php-fpm, other
random vm processes like cron and postfix) fits in 130mb of memory.

There's a chance that I might migrate the blog to Octopress, but
that's not a CMS - it is, in their own words, "a blogging framework
for hackers".

I'm still an advocate of migrating amrad.org (which incidentally, in
response to another comment calling for a wiki, is wiki-based already)
to MediaWiki and being more liberal about handing out accounts on it.
Confluence (another wiki which I have learned to hate at my day job)
should be off the table, for reasons I can explain to anyone who
cares.  :-P

-r