Antivirus musings (was Re: SDR dongle problem)

Andre Kesteloot andre.kesteloot at verizon.net
Tue Jan 14 10:05:21 CST 2014

On 1/13/2014 23:57 PM, Mike O'Dell wrote:
> No, Invincea does not have a consumer product, unfortunately.
> (if they did, i'd already have it on the Windoze boxes that i have
> been unable to expunge from around the house.)
>
> these days, consumer products are all about distribution.
> the quality of the product, alas, frankly doesn't matter
> even a tiny bit compared to distribution efficiency and scale.
> that's why The Usual Suspects in the "PC Security Space"
> can be wildly profitable and incredibly sucko at the same time.
>
> taking a software product to market and supporting it for consumers is a
> hugely expensive effort can can burn tons of cash before you find
> out whether it's going to have any success. Hence, I think it unlikely
> they would offer a consumer product without being able to leverage an
> existing channel like they did for their enterprise product. even if
> they won the $600million Powerball Lottery, going it alone would
> not be a wise use of proceeds.
>
>      -mo

But clearly, there is another business model, used by AVAST and AVG,
which consists in having a free-of-charge, very efficient "home"
version, and then suggesting that you should buy the "pro" version, or
use the "pro": version in your office. I have used the Avast "home"
version for many years, and they keep upgrading it --free-of-charge--
and making it better.
The only thing that is objectionable  --but with which I can deal- is
that the product keep telling me thatr I must upgrade my  regular
programs (Java, etc)  when no upgrade is in fact available.

73
André

---