U of MD Computer Science dish (was Ham IP addresses?)

Mark Bulla markbulla at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:14:56 CST 2014

On a related subject - the dish on the computer science building was a 3.5m Andrew.  I was working at U of MD College Park at Instructional Television (part of the School of Engineering) in 1991, and I noticed this nice, dish on the roof of Computer Science, and saw that it never moved.  Looking into it a bit, I found that it wasn't being used, so I talked them into letting us take it.
We used it as a TVRO dish because, although we already had an uplink dish at the end of the building, we didn't have a good steerable downlink.  It was a nice dish!
The dish was installed on a steel structure behind the ITV building between the EE and T lots.  It looks as though they have since built a building in the T lot, so the dish may no longer be there.
MarkKB3OGD