Anti Virus Needed

Mike ODELL mo at ccr.org
Sun Jan 19 16:37:24 CST 2014

make sure the network of those devices is completely and totally air-gapped
from the Global Internet.  even better, turn off the network silliness in those
devices. turn off the wifi and disconnect the Ethernet cable. the SNMP Toaster
was a joke from long ago. we never imagined anyone would do it seriously.

at CES, there were several "door lock sets" which speak IP over wifi.
WTF were they thinking?

the even nastier little secret is that you already have a network box which
Could already have already have been compromised: your router/wifi box.  most of
them run really old, crufty versions of all the software based on old crufty
versions of Linux and the user-level code that runs outside of the kernel.
examples: dhcp server, DNS, nat configuration, packet filter configuration, wifi
command and control, and the web server stack that provides the
user interface.  if your box can run it, OpenWrt is better than most.

This is very much the question asked by mothers: "if everybody else decided they
can would jump off a ten-story roof, would you do it with them?"
the answer for the vast majority is a resounding "YES" because they don't
understand that is the question, they don't realize they were asked a question,
and they sure don't know enough about the issues to make a rational decision.

so people go inviting everyone in the whole world into everything
they own.

the use of compartmentation like is done using Invincea and containers as done by
Solaris/Illumos, FreeBSD, and Linux, and sand boxing as done by OS/X and iOS appear
to be gaining the upper hand by providing a way to isolate activities so that compromises
can't damage other things while doing so with a tiny fraction of the overhead of, oh, VMware.
and because of that, services can be run lightly and the container destroyed regularly
and recreated freshly, thereby eliminating various "persistent" attracts.

      -mo

Sent from my iPad so please excuse the jammy fingers.