FW: Battery

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Tue Jan 28 07:45:33 CST 2014

Lithium ion cells are extraordinarily sensitive.  If you overcharge
them, they will overheat, catch fire or explode.  If you discharge them
past that magic number, they will undergo an irreversible chemical
reaction such that if you try to recharge them they will overheat, catch
fire or explode. If you discharge them too quickly, as in short them out
when fully charged, they will overheat, catch fire or explode.  If you
puncture a cell it is very likely to overheat, catch fire or explode.
Monotonous, isn't it?

Every cell that ends up in consumer service includes a fuse and a small
IC whose only function is to permanently short out the cell once it
falls below the minimum charge level. This isn't just lawyer stuff - see
Boeing's recent experience with the 787 for an example of how hard it is
to get this right, especially when the cells get really big.  Tesla,
Nissan, GM et. al. have done an amazing job protecting their massive
automotive lithium battery packs.  Each cell is equipped with its own
cell minder which can communicate with the charger to provide all kinds
of telemetry about the cell condition.  These packs are also centrally
located not only for CG purposes, but also to shield them from collision
damage.

---JST

On 01/27/2014 05:29 PM, Alex Fraser wrote:
> I agree, I wasn't hooking up the battery,  I was hooking up the
> camera.  I have read that when Lithium ion go below 2.x volts, they
> can't be recovered.

<snip>