Battery

John Teller jsteller at spottydog.us
Tue Jan 28 21:20:00 CST 2014

I've actually bypassed all the safety features of your common
garden-variety Li-Ion cells and subjected them to exactly the kinds of
stresses I mentioned, and yes they all caught fire.  None exploded,
however - thanks to properly designed venting systems.  They did burn
hot enough for a short period to be able to ignite anything inflammable
nearby - much more dramatic than venting a large electrolytic capacitor,
for instance.

BTW - rebuilding a car's braking system is not particularly
challenging.  Like wiring a house, it's only a matter of following
proper procedures and not taking short cuts.  This is something that is
not heeded by the manufacturers of most of what comes out of China these
days - batteries included.

---JST