Meeting this Thursday

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed Feb 12 12:09:01 CST 2014

I’ve done a number of Google Hangouts, at least the version that’s
called “Google Hangouts on the Air” which is connected to YouTube
for broadcasting to large numbers of receive-only participants.  The
usual Google Hangouts is good for 8 or 10 video participants using
just a browser-based extension.

FYI, I participate in the “Virtual Star Party” that’s held on
Sunday evenings.  It’s an educational program to share astronomy
with people and loads of fun.  I try to participate  when the
weather permits.  Here’s one a couple of the archived broadcasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-h2zWAoMk8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iu9l9Iynwo

Note that the first one has 10 participants (plus the interconnect
to YouTube).  I think that 10 was the max, at least a year ago.
Perhaps that’s improved since then..

The Google Hangouts thing actually works really well, especially
compared to various commercial video conferencing systems that I’ve
had to suffer over the years.  It’s worth giving it a try, and
useful to do a dry-run to debug stuff.

louie
wa3ymh