From Russia with Love

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Thu Mar 20 22:16:19 CDT 2014

Yep...  With the current situation in Crimea and the Ukraine, I most
certainly must be on somebody's (CIA, perhaps) watch list.  This is only
one of many parcels received from our Russian brothers-in-electronics
over the years.  Seems these guys manufactured really neat electronic
parts well into the latter 20th century that were long forgotten by the
west.

Since this parcel was registered (as are all parcels from Russia, it
seems), a signature was required upon receipt.  The postman really liked
the stamps!

Today's parcel included tunnel diodes and germanium transistors.
At first, wondering where the tunnel diodes were, I thought that Andrey
included a token gift of some Russian chewing gum.

However, enclosed in that little box were the tunnel diodes.

The transistors are almost too cool to use.  The box was sealed with a
manufacturer date of May, 1985.

Inside, there are two stacked cards of 1T308A /GT308A transistors.
Supposedly very good for guitar effects pedals - which was their
purchased intent.  We'll see.

Still waiting to arrive from a different seller are some more Russian
Nixie related goodies!!

I've never heard of stipulations regarding graphics on Tacos.  Hope this
is OK.  :-)

Joe, N6DGY