From Russia with Love

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Fri Mar 21 06:48:05 CDT 2014

On 3/21/2014 4:13 AM, Phil wrote:

> Isn't it amazing that in 1985, the Russians were able to manufacture
> cardboard boxes that /looked/ as if they came from the 1960s!

I've often thought that about the cold-war cardboard in Russian
packaging.  Very thin, and brittle.  Withing a few years of manufacture,
it appears ready to decompose.  Their datasheets are similarly
printed... er, rather dittoed (remember that purple stuff?) on brittle
paper.

> Anyway, be careful or you'll be sanctioned by that nice Mr Obama...

And loose my right to purchase Nixie Tubes and tunnel diodes?  Bah!

> (I can't help but think that this e-mail may make it more difficult
> for me to get to Hamvention this year. However, I reckon that if I
> wave my copy of "U.S. Army Special Forces Guide To Unconventional
> Warfare: Improvised Munitions Handbook" (purchased readily from
> Amazon) at immigration, the US authorities will realize that I'm
> on-side and cheerfully facilitate my entry to your wonderful
> democratic country.)

Just don't tell them everything you know.  Wait, our NSA already knows.
Oh, and make sure you book the DIRECT flight from London to DC.
Stopovers mid-route can be unpleasant.

Joe, N6DGY