Fire Alarms

fgentges at mindspring.com fgentges at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 31 08:18:16 CDT 2014

Brian,

Very nice video of the fire alarm telegraph.  These predated the
telephone and gave the firehouse a place to go to fight the fire.

These telegraphs were a loop around town and each box had its own
distinctive code.  American District Telegraph and Gamewell were part of
the early companies.  We still see ADT.

I see some on eBay but none of the registers are cheap but the fire
boxes are more reasonable.

While I was working at the Pentagon, they changed out the old fire
telegraph system for a modern electronic one.  The old fire box guts
were thrown in the trash and I could not resist picking one up.  It is
not made of fancy brass parts.  It is more like telephone gear from the
1942 time frame.

Frank