Spintronics

Joseph Bento joseph at kirtland.com
Sun Apr 13 09:58:58 CDT 2014

On 4/13/2014 8:24 AM, Andre Kesteloot wrote:
> Hard disk pioneer wins tech prize
>
> A British scientist who made it possible for hard disks to become radically bigger and cheaper wins a one million euro technology award.
>
> Read more:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26929250
>
> 73
> André N4ICK
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I think there may need to be further improvements in Windows before
these large HDs are practical beyond just bragging rights in PCs. It has
always been my experience that the more junk you have installed on your
machine, the poorer Windows performs.

I had always liked large hard drives in the past, thinking I could
install whatever I want.  However, the registry becomes overwhelming,
windows slows, and crashes become more frequent.  I have just a 500gig
drive on my laptop, about half full.  I already notice occasional
performance issues.

For archival storage and servers, large drives may be fine.  They don't
seem practical on an everyday PC, however.

Joe, N6DGY