AMRAD Meeting Tonight - there will be sparks but no RF

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Thu Apr 17 12:00:51 CDT 2014

April 17, 2014, 7:30pm - "Fun with Electric Motors" Karl Berger, W4KRL will
take us back to the 19th Century to explore the fundamentals of direct
current motors. Karl will demonstrate an open frame dc commutator motor that
has slip rings connected to one rotor winding. This enables observing the
rotor voltage on an oscilloscope. We return to the modern era and do all the
motor control with an Arduino using Pulse Width Modulated power supplies,
Hall-effect current sensors, and servo-driven instrumentation. We will run
the motor to synchronous speed and energize the motor with ac, making it run
as a synchronous converter to rectify ac by mechanical means.

Dolley Madison Library, McLean, VA.
<http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/dm/>

cid:image003.jpg at 01CF588C.BAA190D0cid:image006.jpg at 01CF5A3C.6E363E60