ARISS school contact tomorrow (April 21)

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 14:09:30 CDT 2014

Hi Terry,

  Curious to know if I could hear the ISS I took up position in the
front yard and listened during the ten minute window using a Baofeng
UV-5R and a Yaesu FT-411. The UV-5R had a 19" whip and the FT-411 a 4"
stubby antenna. Surprisingly, it was fairly easy to copy downlink
transmissions for over two minutes around max elevation with the stubby
antenna pointed along the expected orbital track. The only signal heard
from the UV-5R was a change in background noise during ISS transmissions.

Richard