ATSC hand held TV

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 26 14:49:20 CDT 2014

  Alex, I have some experience using a little 3.5" Auvio battery
operated digital TV, mostly sitting (not driving) in my car and while
camping. Using the built-in antenna I don't receive much in the Waldorf,
Maryland area either. The tiny whip antenna isn't very good at capturing
low power digital transmissions unless very close to the station's
antenna. Fortunately my TV has antenna, earphone and external power
jacks. When connected to an old RCA 'flying saucer' amplified antennas I
currently receive more than 40 channels from DC, Va and Baltimore area
broadcasts.

  I've also had very good reception when connected to an indoor VHF-UHF
amplified antenna while in my camper van, stopped for the night near
large cities such as Indy and St. Louis. One of the biggest drawbacks to
these little sets is their hefty power consumption. My Auvio TV runs on
AA cells but I power it from a 6V, 7AR gel cell. It eats AA cells much
too fast. The antenna amp is powered from the car's 12 cigarette lighter
socket while the antenna sits on the van's dash or roof. I haven't tried
reception while moving but past experiments with analog TV suggest
reception would most likely be poor to unwatchable.

Richard