ATSC hand held TV

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Sun Apr 27 23:54:51 CDT 2014

Item 1, though it wasn’t your item 1, 8VSB does not deal with a mobile receiver well at all.  Right now, some broadcasters are looking at ways to give up picture quality or additional video feeds to try to make mobile reception better, with only a little success.  COFDM would have been a much better idea, but he Grand Alliance didn’t think mobile reception was a big deal.  Apparently they didn’t bother to speak with the installers of mobile video systems that used NTSC and satellite TV.  Frankly, let me write — IDIOTS!

Interestingly, 8VSP does play well with other things in the 6 MHz channel.  WPVI, Channel 6, and Channel 6 RF, in Phili did a hot cut to Channel 6, and is still there today.  They ran an FM transmitter at 88.75 MHz, or there abouts, after the cut.  They had encouraged people to listen to them on 88.7 MHz in their cars.  Close enough to 88.75 back in the days of NTSC.  Hell, I used to listen to them, and also Channel 6 out of Richmond, VA while on the road.  There were some inquiries to and from the FCC about the legality, and the FCC basically said, “Um, we don’t know, but it doesn’t seem like a good idea to us.”  I am sure that was some low level lackey, but they shut it down.

However, there a all kinds of applications for LPTVs on Channel 6 all over the country.  In the industry, they are called Frankinn FMs.  I don’t recall the exact date but those low power TVs and translators are going to be forced to go to ATSC so it won’t last forever.

OK, #1, mobile sucks.

#2, the current chip sets for ATSC are very much power hogs.  I also have a Auvio potable.  It works GREAT, when you can see the transmit antennas, like outside Hara, but I get nothing in Sterling.

#3, though you didn’t ask.  WUSA hot cut back to Channel 9, and WJLA hot cut back to Channel 7.  Neither have worked well.  In DC you must have a VHF-highband antenna in addition to UHF.

Of course CBS stayed on 2 in Chicago.  Just guess how well that is going!!!  Noise at Lowband just rips 8VSB a new….  Highband too, but to a lesser extent.

I could go on a rant, but I won’t.

—chip