Automatic Level Control Techniques for DDS-based Designs - TODAY 8PM

knology wb4jfi wb4jfi at knology.net
Tue May 6 15:28:05 CDT 2014

It’s good to see that the Chat With The Designers is back!

I’ve been adjusting the output level of DDS chips for a while now.  Typically, I use an I2C connected digital pot, such as the MCP4551.  You can adjust the DDS output level by varying the 3.9k resistor used to adjust the DDS output current level.  I’ve found that you can drop that 3.9k resistor to almost half that value without too much issues, and then use a digital pot to adjust the actual resistance value above and below 3.9k.

There is also the possibility to actually AM-modulate the 3.9k resistor pin with a voltage from a D/A converter.

I’m on vacation in Myrtle Beach right now, so I will probably miss tonight’s event.  Rats!!!
73, Terry, WB4JFI