Gama Ray Laser

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sat May 10 06:18:48 CDT 2014

Exactly. Modern X-ray imaging systems require only a very small fraction of the dose associated with exposing photographic emulsions (partly because large amounts of X-rays pass straight through the photographic film without interaction). Consider that modern airport X-ray systems do not even fog 1000 ASA film stock.

Like the old X-ray shoe size imagers, the hazard is more to the (regular) operator than to the (occasional) subject. My dentist is well aware of the potential hazards, but no longer feels the need to don a lead apron (though he may wear special underpants for all I know).

The biggest disappointment regarding my wife's medical technetium dose was that she did not acquire super powers, even briefly. I'm not sure that those comic book writers were entirely accurate in their story lines. Mind you, the secondary gamma dose I received from accompanying her may have made me super-grumpy - or maybe I was like that anyway.

Phil M1GWZ