Modular Jack History

Mike O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Tue May 27 15:45:12 CDT 2014

interesting how history gets sanitized

when I worked at Bellcore, I heard that story
but with one added piece - the real reason for doing it.

by making the telephone the Field-Replaceable Unit and going modular,
they could hire installers who could not outwit a screwdriver and
*never be exposed to an energized circuit*.

those details could save a zillion dollars long-term given CWA work rules.

this opportunity for suppressing the real motivation is why the
courtroom oath sez "the truth, the WHOLE truth,
and nothing but the truth."

    -mo