Antennas

Gerald Wolczanski jerrywlinux at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 06:24:05 CDT 2014

mo - I make my own open wire line with 4" spacing and have used that, in
conjunction with various length flat-tops, with great success.  With
shorter flat tops, I have made them with double wires with 12" spacing,
to lower the antenna Q which helps on the lower bands.

The 450 ohm window line can get lossy when wet/dirty.

It's easy to bring open wire into the house as the wire fits easily
under the windows.

I make my own spark gap lightning arresters from an ancient design I
found in an old ARRL handbook.

I've mostly used old style link coupled tuners.

Never found a condition where I could not tune the system to resonance.

For the low bands (or listening to aircraft beacons!), I can tie the two
feeders together and treat the antenna as a top-loaded vertical, worked
against ground.

                               - - - - -

Quite frankly, I've never fully understood all the gymnastics hams go
through to AVOID open wire systems - that includes the G5RV, various OCF
antennas, etc.

Way back in the day when embassies used HF (imagine two 75 baud
channels!) our antenna of choice was the HFAS-1, a fan-dipole (66' and
100' versions) fed with 6" open wire line to a remotely tuned coupler on
the roof.  Nothing beat it.

I think it's important to use a truly balanced coupler such as the "old
fashioned" link-style.  I run QRP mostly (2 watts or so) - at higher
power levels, I worry about using toroids - I think I'd use an air core
BALUN.

I'm blessed with a lot of trees and most of my antennas stay up for a
year or two.  At the moment I'm using a 135' inverted-L fed with a home
brew Z-match - the toroid version of VK5BR's famous design.  When this
antenna falls down (it's long overdue), I'll probably go back to a
balanced antenna, for no particular reason.  The inverted-L flat-top
portion is 75' and works FB.

Photo of my Z-match, which is supposed to also work with balanced
antennas:
http://withywindle.us/wp/2014/06/17/jerrys-gear-and-new-z-match/

Jerry
KI4IO