Opinions on safety of dropbox ???

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Mon Aug 4 09:08:53 CDT 2014

Zach made a nice choice for a FreeNAS box.  If I was looking at that
class of device I would give some serious thought to running SmartOS
on it instead, partially because SmartOS boots from a thumb drive (and
stores all its configuration in your main zpool), so you can use all
four drives for storage and not worry about a boot volume.  You do
lose the nice management gui, but then again that's not such a great
loss - managing ZFS from the command line is easy.  And you gain a
nice OS-level server virtualization platform (the CPU in it doesn't
have EPT, so SmartOS' KVM doesn't run, but that's a side note).

Since Dick's original question involved "security", the NAS
appliances, whether software based or a full package, are not a
perfect given either.  Witness today's nice little security alert:

http://blog.check-and-secure.com/040814-synolocker-ransomware-for-nas-devices/

-r