Opinions on safety of dropbox ???

Nan and Sandy Sanders radiodog77 at pobox.com
Thu Aug 7 00:44:39 CDT 2014

There were 5 computers. Number 5 was a backup running software
written by a separate  team. I don't think it was ever used.

 From http://history.nasa.gov/computers/Ch4-4.html ;

"One reason why the redundancy management software was able to be
kept to a minimum is that NASA decided to move voting to the
actuators, rather than to do it before commands are sent on buses.
Each actuator is quadruple redundant. If a single computer fails, it
continues to send commands to an actuator until the crew takes it out
of the redundant set. Since the Shuttle's other three computers are
sending apparently correct commands to their actuators, the failed
computer's commands are physically out-voted. Theoretically, the only
serious possibility is that three computers would fail
simultaneously, thus negating the effects of the voting. If that
occurs, and if the proper warnings are given, the crew can then
engage the backup system simply by pressing a button located on each
of the forward rotational hand controllers."

      Sandy
      WB5MMB