THE FIRST AIR FORCE ONE - YouTube

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 15:13:25 CDT 2014

There has been a Conie setting at the runway here in Salina, Kansas for a long time.  Was restored a bit and about ready to fly out and then something stalled that years ago.  I was on a cruise with a Skunk Works engineer some time ago and we were discussing it.  Everyone thinks the fuselage has lift.  Not much if any.  The three vertical stabilizers are not more efficient, but lowered the height so it could fit more hangers.  Made it a thing of beauty.

One of the first, if not the first Presidential plane is on display at The Yard, a surplus metal store in Wichita.  The long time owners refurbished it before changing management and it is there in the middle of Old Town at the side of the store.  Sadly, the new management has been steadily cleaning the tons of misc. Al and clearing it out so the store is only a higher priced shadow of its original hunting ground.  A couple of generations of hobby and small machine shops have lost a valuable resource.

N0UU