Are passwords obsolete ?

Doug Gentges doug.gentges at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 10:25:03 CDT 2014

My 4 easy suggestions for dealing with passwords:

1.  If it's available, use 2-factor authentication for important accounts,
especially your e-mail.  Remember, your e-mail is generally the password
reset mechanism for all your other accounts.  If an attacker compromises
your e-mail, they can get in to about anything else.  The Google 2-factor
for GMail is easy to set up and use if you have a smartphone.

2. Use unique passwords for each site.  this is really hard if you don't
use a password manager, and really easy if you do.

3. Use a password manager.  A password manager makes it super easy to use a
unique, secure password for each site.  Then use the longest password that
each site supports. I just generated one, and my new password is
XWIH at og^y$h&o^n2OKNgL2wl
 I sure wouldn't be able to remember that, or have to type it in even if I
didn't have to remember it, but it's exactly the same complexity as what I
use for my e-bay and amazon accounts.

I use lastpass.com because I like their transparency with respect to how
the system works and the way that they have reacted to things like
heartbleed.  They have a free tier which works on the desktop, but the
"premium" which includes support for smartphones is only $12/year. There
are a bunch of other options too, including dashlane and keepass.

4. Protect your password manager with a truly strong, random password.  You
only need one, so it's not too bad if it is long.  My personal preference
is to use the diceware algorithm (www.diceware.com  You'll need a 6 sided
dice) to generate my master password. A 7-word diceware pass phrase is
pretty much immune to brute force, (at 10^13 guesses/second, it would take
54 billion years)

Doug