Shortwave site gets new lease on life - RadioWorld

Patrick Gray patgperiod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 10:53:29 CDT 2014

I was sent this through my Linked-In account.

It's a nice read.

I'd like to borrow their transmitter fabricator for a bit!

http://www.radioworld.com/article/massive-shortwave-site-gets-a-new-lease-on-life/272037

Having maintained two FAA radio sites near Lake Okechobee at my last job,
The TV Station Engineer where we were co-located said you could set your
watch to the lightning season, one has to ask one's self why put a
transmitter site in that locale that is the highest rate of lightning
strike in the nation.

As well, NASA and the National Weather Service have a rocket sounding range
at Lake Okeechobee where they launch a thin copper wire during lightning
storms and make those beautiful "Star Trek - phaser" images.

I wonder the number of Golf courses in the Lake Okeechobee area?

Pat KF4MTV