End Fed HF Antennas

Chip Fetrow tacos at fetrow.org
Wed Oct 1 17:44:07 CDT 2014

I forgot to mention this in my previous e-mail:  Power makes absolutely no difference.  The only time you MIGHT see some interesting effects from long wire antennas at high power is when they are multiples of 1/2 wave in length.  The light show can be impressive.

Field Day is kind of a special case.  I would recommend dipoles as no ground system is required.  Either that, or put in a proper ground system with the plan of reusing it every year.  There are some commercial verticals which claim to need minimal ground systems.  Even though they are HF antennas, they claim that they may be tower mounted, quite some distance above the earth.  I’m sure they work OK, but I doubt great.

—chip